Sunday 19 July 2009

All-Line Rover, Day 0: Buying the Ticket

Today I spent £429 on the most expensive train ticket I've ever bought. And here it is:



I expected buying the ticket to be difficult, but the guy at the ticket desk actually knew what I had asked for. He just said "certainly, sir" and prodded at his computer for two minutes, and eventually popped up the words "Balance Due: £429.00" on his screen.

The ticket, as I explained here, allows me to unlimited travel on the entire British railway network. Starting tomorrow. For two weeks.

This is going to be epic.

Except that I don't know where to start.

I have a plan for Monday, but the rest depends on the long-term forecast for Scotland, since I don't really want to do Glasgow to Fort William and Mallaig and back when it's pouring with rain, what with it being probably the most scenic line in the UK (if not the world).

Monday's plan is basically London - Liverpool - Norwich - London, which is good to get me started as it's nice and simple. Watch this space for an update!

8 comments:

  1. Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh was very pretty, but I had glorious weather. Hope the weather sorts itself out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He called you "sir"? Not "love" or "mate". That's impressive. Was he British?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is great! I like trains too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You haven't credited the people whose fine sofa the ticket is resting on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abi: Yes, Inverness to Kyle is very pretty and I hope to do it again.

    Rajiv: Yes, he called me "sir". No, he wasn't British.

    Ian: It's not resting on the sofa. It's resting on John's music folder, which is resting on the sofa. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is great. I am thinking of an All Line 7 Day Rail Rover and finding your blog very inspirational. Just one question - Do you think it would be worth going First Class? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, as you get peace and quiet (sort of) and free meals, refreshment, newspapers, etc - important on long journeys. But - an awful lot of BR trains are now Second Class only (such as rural and Scottish/Welsh lines).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. I still haven't used an All Line Rail Rover but I have really enjoyed travelling with the Explore Wales Pass and enjoyed a trip to the Scottish Highlands. I think I will stick with the regional rovers as four days train travel is about enough for me.

    ReplyDelete